Today, golf is one of the most popular sports worldwide. It is known as a gentleman’s game and is considered a leisure for rich people. Golf is an outdoor game and is played on large courses, which offers many benefits for golf players. Some of the benefits of golf are:
- The need to play outdoor. Large golf courses are built out in the open because of the scale of the game. Every course has a unique layout and landscape, which gives players aesthetic pleasure. Furthermore, the exposure to green is proven by studies to relax the body, reduce stress, and can aid alleviating anxiety. Exposure to sun contributes to the synthesis of vitamin D in the organism, aiding bone growth and reducing the risk of depression, heart disease, and certain cancers.
- Golf fosters relationships. As golf is not as intense and competitive as such sports as football or basketball, it gives the golfers more time to interact with each other. It can provide great opportunities of meeting new people or getting in touch with friends. According to studies, a great number of business deals is closed on golf courses.
- Playing golf burns calories. In golf, you need to hit golf balls into a series of holes, which means that you’ll need to do a lot of walking to get from one hole to another. On average golf course, you can cover a distance between five to seven kilometers! All the walking, carrying, and swinging can burn up to 1000 calories in a single game.
- Golf is good for your brain and mental health. The increase of the heart rate intensifies the blood flow to you brain, which can stimulate nerve cell connections and delay mental illnesses. During a golf game, golfers compete against others and with themselves for personal best scores, which boosts self-confidence. Moreover, improving the strategy in golf and developing hand-eye coordination will help keeping the brain active.
- Golf is a low-risk injury sport. Golf is not a contact sport, making it not as traumatic as these kind of sports. Golf is a sport of strategy, accuracy, and coordination, but activities such as swinging and walking provide enough physical load to keep the muscles engaged.
- Golfers sleep better. Getting quite of an exercise, your body will get tired, making you fall asleep faster. Generally, golfers sleep more profoundly and remain in sleep for longer time because of the energy expenses. That is because deeper sleep is a must for the body to regenerate and repair cells and tissues.
- Golf reduces stress. Outdoor area and communication with other players help alleviate stress. That is due to the increase of release of endorphins, natural mood-enhancing chemicals, which make us feel happier and more relaxed. Walking for a couple of kilometers in a green, open, and natural landscape as well as communicating with people who share your interests make golf a great way to forget about troubles.
If you are looking for not so demanding type of physical activity, golf is a perfect choice. If you want to meet new people and get closer with your friends, golf is a good choice. Do you want to benefit from exercise? Again, golf is one of the best choices you can make. So grab your golf club and go to a golf course to hit some golf balls!